Sunday, September 12, 2004

Musical Weekend!


Gourd
Originally uploaded by stevochicken86.
Hello All,

Saturday marked 3 years since the day evil struck our heartland hard. This weekend our country remembered those who suffered death because of hatred. There were many memorial services all over the country Saturday - but our biggest tribute of was continuing to do the things we love to do. Those who try to fill free poeple's live with fear and terror are shown every day that We will not bow to their wishes. This country was founded on Hope - and terror has no place here.

This weekend, I went home again. Friday, I worked with Dad some more on the Eagle project, and then went to eat with friends. After this, we all went to the game. After the game, I went home for a little while to finish some things up before going to Hunter's to spend the night. We checked out the mac, talked, watched some TV, and just stayed up too late.
Saturday morning, Hunter took me home, where I got ready for some scouts to come over. The guys showed up around 8:30 and we started working on the project. We finished up what we had to do about 11:00, and I took them home.
I went straight to Pioneer Day next. It is an annual event held in Owings, where reenactors and craftsmen come and show off their stuff. I was so glad to see lots of my friends there. I got to jam a bit with Hunter, Mark, and David - playing 1800s music. Renee showed all of us her new cotton blossom engagement ring that David made. He also gave me something he made - a Gut String Gourd Banjar (the kind of banjo that slaves would have played) I was very thrilled, and I'm enjoying playing it.
After the History Fest, Sue, Hunter, Kari, and I went to a bluegrass jam in Hicory Tavern. We had some chicken and listened to some REALLY talented young musicians from around the upstate. We played outside with some of the folks before we left.
Then, we went to a Double B-day party of some friends from Beach Camp and Mission Trip, Mary and Trisha. For the third time that day, we jammed with other guitar, fiddle, and banjo players. It was just like our summer trips. Mary led us in a rousing rendition of the Old-time/Bluegrass favorite Cripple Creek, or as Jimmy says "Crizzipple" We had a great time, and then went back to Hunter's. After watching SNL, we retired.
Sunday afternoon I played with Hunter and Sue - with her new fiddle. We figured out and played several good tunes and I had a lot of fun.
Later Sunday I went home, packed up my things, and headed back for school. What a great weekend!

No comments: